If you’re interested in vaping, you might have heard of a vape pen.
Initially, people used vape pens for nicotine, but now people use vape pens with CBD vape cartridges and pre-filled THC oil. Vape pens are incredibly versatile, so they’re excellent for vaping numerous substances.
In this article, we will show you how to use vape pens to vape THC, CBD, and nicotine.
What Is a Vape Pen?
A vape pen heats a tank or cartridge—which may include CBD, THC, and nicotine—to produce vapor. Vapers decided to call them vape pens due to their small nature. In 2010, vape pens first exploded onto the e-cigarette market after a company named Janty introduced them.
Vape pens transformed the vaporizer market by providing more substantial battery life and the option of swapping cartridges and atomizers.
A vape pen typically includes:
- A charging cable
- A USB port charge
- A power button
- A cartridge with 510 threads
- A battery life indicator
- An internal battery
Rechargeable Vape Pens vs. Disposable Vape Pens
Vape pens come in two primary categories: disposable and rechargeable. Depending on your vaping habits, you should choose the one that suits you.
A disposable vape pen is an all-in-one unit including a pre-filled tank, an internal battery, and a coil. You can’t recharge a disposable vape pen, so they’re not ideal if you’re a heavy vaper.
In contrast, you can always recharge a rechargeable vape pen. They come in two main categories: draw-activated and push-button. You can use rechargeable vape pens with various atomizers and cartridges, which makes them incredibly versatile and perfect for heavy vapers.
- Push-button vape pens: You must turn on push-button vape pens before you vape them by pressing the button five times in a row. Some push-button vapes enable you to switch the voltage output by pressing the button three times in a row. However, other push-button vape pens may include a pre-heat mode.
- Draw-activated vape pens: These are the easiest to use because they turn on when you activate them. They have no buttons to push. However, although draw-activated vape pens are easier to use, they don’t have the versatility and functionality of push-button vape pens. Still, they’re a superb option if you’re new to vaping.
How To Use a Vape Pen for THC
Many cannabis smokers are turning to vape pens to consume THC. Most vapers use vape pens for delta 8 THC carts and re-fillable cannabis oil cartridges. In addition, people typically call these weed pens, and they’re predominately compatible with 510-threaded oil carts.
Here’s how to vape your favorite THC strain:
First, remove the rubber seal from the oil cartridge and connect it to the battery. Ensure you switch your device on before using it if it’s a push-button vape pen. Push the button around five times, but check your vape pen instructions because your vape pen may be different.
More importantly, don’t press the button until you start inhaling because you might burn your lips.
- Take a small puff from the vape pen and wait a few minutes to gauge the side effects. You could take more time if it’s your first time vaping THC because the effects can creep up on you.
- If your device has a 510 vape battery, begin at the lowest setting. The perfect range is between 3.3 to 3.8 volts. However, you could start higher if you’re more experienced at consuming THC.
- Most newer cartridges use ceramic-based oils to handle more voltage without burning out. However, some older cartridges will require a higher voltage to give you a satisfying smoke.
Vaping THC isn’t overly different from vaping CBD or nicotine. However, the most important thing is to avoid consuming too much THC. Common side effects may include anxiety, nausea, and paranoia.
If you think you’ve consumed too much THC, take a cold shower, speak to friends and family, and remind yourself to relax because—most importantly—you won’t die.
Wax and Dabs
If you’re considering vaping wax, you should use a dab pen or wax pens. Although you can find cartridges that work with standard vape pens, most dab pens offer more airflow and more atomizers to handle the higher temperatures needed for dabs. In addition, dab pens—unlike oil cartridges—have a button you can press before inhaling to preheat the dabs.
- Place a small amount of wax in the heating chamber. It’s more suitable to use a dab tool for this.
- Ensure you don’t overload the chamber with wax, or you’ll reduce the longevity of your coils.
- Start the coil by pushing the fire button to melt the wax.
- Wait a few minutes between each dab to ensure you don’t overestimate your dab strength.
If you’ve considered vaping pure weed, you can find standard dry herb attachments for most push-button vape pens. However, you’ll need an excellent dry herb vape pen or a portable weed vaporizer to avoid combusting your weed.
How To Use a Vape Pen for CBD
As the CBD market continues to grow worldwide, more people are using vape pens to consume CBD for various health benefits. However, the best option for vaping is CBD oil cartridges. In contrast, CBD oil tinctures aren’t suitable for inhalation because they contain oil.
Thankfully, using a vape pen for CBD is straightforward. Simply remove the rubber seal and screw the cartridge onto your device. You can start vaping CBD instantly if you have a disposable vape pen.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to vaping CBD:
- Take a small puff and wait for around two minutes. Once you’ve felt the side effects, you can judge whether to vape more.
- If your device includes a 510 vape battery, begin at the lowest setting to prevent burnt/dry hits. The best range is between 3.3 bolts and 3.8 bolts.
- Most newer cartridges offer ceramic coils to allow the vape pen to handle a higher voltage without burning out. However, you may need a higher voltage than older cartridges to ensure you achieve a good puff.
CBD Vape Juice
You can use a standard e-liquid vape pen for CBD vape juice because it’s similar to nicotine e-liquid. Therefore, you can use any empty oil tank with CBD oil juice. However, you’ll want a modern e-liquid vape pen for most e-liquids on the market today.
There are two primary e-liquid vape pens: direct lung (DL) or mouth to lung (MTL.) Direct lung vape pens offer a looser draw with more excellent airflow. They also require more power than MTL tanks due to the weaker coils. MTL vape pens, however, are similar to cartridges. They offer a tighter, cigarette-style draw. Specific devices can offer both vaping styles, depending on the coil.
A step-by-step guide to vaping CBD vape juice:
- Ensure you vape a CBD cartridge or CBD vape juice. Vaping a CBD oil tincture can be dangerous to your health.
- If you’re using high-strength CBD, use sub-ohm devices. If you’re using low-strength CBD, use MTL devices.
- Fill your tank or cartridge with CBD vape juice and connect it to your vape pen.
- Wait around 10 minutes to enable the coil to absorb the vape pen.
- Take a small puff and wait between 5 to 10 minutes to gauge the effects.
How To Use a Vape Pen for Nicotine
When people first started using vape pens, they used them for nicotine. However, vape pens for nicotine use have evolved in the last decade. Today’s options offer far better performance and better flavor. In addition, many vape pens have extra features—including different coil options, various colors, and better battery capacity.
Nicotine vape pens typically fall into two categories: mouth to lung (MTL) or direct lung (DL). Some options are capable of MTL and DL, depending on which coil you install. Mouth-to-lung vape pens are ideal for higher-strength nicotine e-liquids (6mg and above.) Direct lung vape pens offer more significant clouds and are perfect for ordinary low-strength nicotine e-liquid (3-6mg.)
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the most common questions people ask is whether vaping is safe. Here’s the truth: vaping is less harmful than smoking, but it doesn’t come without risks. Smoking tobacco, for example, contains thousands of chemicals that may cause cancer. However, there are lower levels of chemicals when you vape.
Vaping may still cause some irritating side effects, such as shortness of breath, coughing, dry mouth, throat irritation, and headaches. You can reduce these by using excellent vaping equipment and regularly maintaining it.
Vaping laws vary across the United States. The legal age to buy vaping products, as of December 20, 2019, ranges from 18 to 21, depending on the state.
However, there is widespread regulation around indoor vaping across the United States. Only Nevada, Tennessee, and Nebraska don’t have indoor rules. You should check the laws in your state.
You’ll need to regularly clean your vape pen to get the best out of it. The best time to clean your vape pen is after a smoking session.
Here is a step-by-step guide:
1. Disassemble your vape pen: You can screw and unscrew most vape pens. However, some vape pens snap together with plastic. Either way, it’s essential to disassemble your vape pen before cleaning it.
2. Scrub your equipment: Once you’ve disassembled your vape pen, dab a cotton swab or cloth in rubbing alcohol. Then, scrub the inside and outside of the mouthpiece. If you want a deeper clean, you can soak the mouthpiece with rubbing alcohol for up to one hour before leaving it to dry.
3. Clean the vape pen cartridge: The most crucial part is cleaning the vape pen cartridge. You should dab cotton swabs around the exterior of the cartridge before using a paper towel to dry the outside.
4. Clean the battery: The battery is the most dangerous part of the cleaning process. In most cases, you only need to gently clean the exterior with cotton swabs. Ensure the connector doesn’t have any residue because it can break the flow of electricity to the atomizer.
5. Dry your vape pen: You must give your vape pen ample time to dry. Use paper towels or a cloth to wipe off any visible droplets if you want to accelerate the drying process.
The decision to start vaping is entirely up to you. As you’ve seen from this article, vaping is an excellent alternative to smoking, especially if you’re smoking THC.
However, vaping doesn’t come without some risks. Although it’s not as dangerous as smoking, you can still endure adverse side effects.
If you’re considering starting your vaping journey, a vape pen might be the best option for you. Vape pens are safer to use, efficient, and versatile. You can also vape nicotine, THC, and CBD with relative ease.
Vape pens are an excellent addition to your vaping experience.